We are committed to the quality, integrity and long-term sustainability of our tuna.
Even though we don’t own or operate any fishing boats, we still expect that our high standards are reflected in the actions of our suppliers. We also proactively engage with a range of organisations and others in the global seafood industry, to improve sustainability and to help protect ocean ecosystems.
Quality and integrity are central to our business. All of our tuna is fully traceable back to the catching vessel and is handled carefully from catch to can to maintain optimum quality and flavour.
With illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing contributing a serious threat to the environment and human rights, it is absolutely vital that all of our seafood meets strict traceability standards.
We do not
- Source any IUU seafood and have experienced and dedicated personnel to ensure this.
- Permit long-line caught tuna in our Princes brand products.
- Trade with companies or vessels that have not banned the practice known as shark finning.
- Permit at sea transhipment.
- Trade in any species listed as endangered or critically endangered on the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of threatened species.
- Over-package our products and we aim to use recyclable packaging materials wherever possible
To ensure the quality and integrity of our seafood we:
- Supply quality and nutritious products.
- Work only with approved supply partners who ensure Princes high standards of quality and sourcing are adhered to.
- Ensure full supply chain traceability.
- Fully support and comply with ISSF’s efforts and measures to reduce bycatch and control fishing capacity.
- Play an active role in the debate over catch methods, bycatch and sustainability and shape our approach based on the latest scientific information.
- Audit our suppliers against our standards.
- Comply with all relevant regional, national and EU legislation.
- Ensure large-scale purse seine vessels used to source tuna are registered on the ISSF ProActive Vessel Register (PVR).
- Adhere to the internationally-recognised strict standards of the Earth Island Institute (EII) for Dolphin Safe tuna.