We have established many strong partnerships – from the fishermen who catch for us to the suppliers who process to our required standards. By working with our peers and non-government organisations, we are able to play an active role in the industry.
Supporting international science based initiatives and commitments
As one of the founding partners of the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF) https://iss-foundation.org/about-tuna/fishing-methods, Princes continues to actively support the organisation’s important work and projects. WWF, one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organisations, is also a founder partner of the ISSF. ISSF’s current (2018-22) strategic plan has four core areas of strategic focus:
- Science: Advance the sustainability of tuna stocks and their Ecosystems through continuous improvement – measurably demonstrated – across global tuna fisheries;
- Influence: Exercise influence among stakeholders to promote and expedite actions necessary to advance the sustainability of tuna stocks and their ecosystems;
- Verification: Maintain and enhance credibility through transparency and compliance;
- Support FIPs: Act as an enabler across all areas of focus, seeking to expedite the achievement of MSC certification and ecosystem sustainability through market influence and RFMO.
- The ISSF created a Proactive Vessel Register (PVR) to provide vessel owners with an opportunity to identify themselves as active participants in meaningful tuna sustainability efforts.
- The PVR is the most effective mechanism currently available that transparently identifies those individual vessels that are implementing science-based, sustainable tuna fishing practices.
- Through the PVR we are able to track compliance of individual vessels’ best practice measures.
- In 2019, 100% of the large purse seine vessels Princes purchased tuna from were registered on the PVR.